Phu Quoc Prison (Vietnamese: Nhà tù Phú Quốc) is a prison in Phú Quốc, southern Vietnam (today it is in Kiên Giang Province. The prison was built in 1949–1950 by French colonialists as a place to detain political dissidents. During the Vietnam War, it was used for detention of captured Viet Cong and North Vietnamese soldiers. Many of the high ranking leaders of Vietnam were detained here. It is ranked a special historical relic of national significance by the government of Vietnam. The prison covers an area of 40,000 square metres (0.015 sq mi). The prison was closed after the country united, but is currently open for visitors.